Thursday, April 24, 2008

Mature student attracted back in to education by Art & Design courses at Dunstable College

Art & Design courses at Dunstable College are attracting mature students who have been out of education for some time, and providing a route for them to return to study in their chosen subject. Jan Drury enrolled on the part-time Foundation Diploma in Art & Design course, and cannot believe the difference it has made to her life.

Jan comments, “In 2006 after completing several art based evening classes, I applied for a place on the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design. I have been attending the course on a part time basis and ‘love’ it. The reason for my applying for the course was that I had reached a stage in my life when I wanted to do something for myself and having always had an interest in artistic ventures I decided to take the plunge and really stretch myself. Dunstable was always my first choice of college and I have not been disappointed. The level of tuition and support is superb and I will be sorry to leave the course. I had never been to a gallery before and did not know any artists. Now I have become an ‘art bore’ constantly going on about artists and techniques. The trip to Berlin was the highlight of the course, so far.

I was apprehensive at first returning to learning as a mature student but needn’t have worried. All the students young and old learn from each other and I think enhance each other’s work”.

Course Team Leader, Lee Birkett adds, “This course has proven to be very popular and has given a real boost to the students’ confidence. Students gain a variety of skills and the opportunity to sample a wide range of art and design areas, including fine art, graphics, 3D and textiles. They go onto focus these skills in their strongest area, working towards progression onto an appropriate degree programme, or employment. It is ideal for those who have sampled art and design at some stage in their life, but for whatever reason were unable to take this interest further at the time”.

For further information on the part-time courses available at Dunstable College please call 0845 355 2525, or visit www.dunstable.ac.uk

No comments: