Saturday, April 01, 2006

Just an idea I had

Updating news and vacancies on the College web site is a bit of a job. And only I can do it as it stands at the moment. Someone gives me some huge pictures and some text and I have to fit it onto a new news web page and also add a headline + a bit to the main news page. That, of course, results in the main page getting bigger and I have to decide what to get rid of to avoid it getting too vast as well as the adding the new page + links to whatever I move in a menu on a whole load of other pages.

Now, instead, if the news was collected in a web log like this I could put an RSS feed on the news page. That would feature a headline and a few lines of text and would be automatically updated each time the new items were published.

Visitors could click on the news item and arrive at the appropriate part of the web log.

Advantages:
the person writing the news can put it straight on the web log, subject to authorisation
the pictures will get automatically resized, with big ones available too as links from them
a simpler main news page and no individual pages
no images stored on the web server
Stories could even be written in Word and published direct from there

Disadvantages:
people would be taken away from the site - it would have to open in a new window
the blogger address doesn't look that brilliant - maybe the site name can be maintained
the layout and colour scheme / style won't match the site - maybe someone can work on that and get a bit closer
need to be careful about people adding unwanted Comments - can be disabled, I think
anyone might be able to put the news on their site - I guess they could do that now by copying and pasting and who would really want to anyway

It's worth a try. I'll stick a couple of items in and see what happens. Couldn't use this one and we'd need to sort out the profile stuff and what's displayed.

No comments: